A meaningful way to recognise lifelong and lifewide learning
About Digital Badges
The Australian Institute of Training and Development (AITD) has embraced digital badges and advocates their use as a meaningful way to recognise lifelong and lifewide learning.
AITD worked with the team from Academic Tribe to explore, design and pilot badge opportunities for AITD. In late 2015, AITD’s badge program became operational, using Open Badges Infrastracture (OBI) protocols so that the badges can be used and recognised in many ways.
Digital badges are presented as an image with embedded metadata which provides details of what the recipient had to do to earn the badge.
Digital badges are a form of eportfolio to track and showcase a learner’s achievements, interests and passions. Displaying your badges makes your eportfolio visible to your colleagues, peers and potential employers. Badges also connect you with others, broadening your personal learning network. For example, the AITD membership badge will show that you are part of a dynamic community of connected professionals.
How Does AITD Use Badges?
AITD uses badges to recognise the contribution and achievements of learning and development professionals in the following ways:
- Member badges for AITD members, issued upon joining and renewal;
- Professional development badges for participants in AITD’s Essentials and MasterClass courses, Mentoring Program, Conference and other activities;
- Contributing to the work of AITD, such as volunteers on Divisional Councils;
- Achievement badges for Finalists and Winners in AITD’s Awards program (from 2016).
Learn More About Badges
For more information about digital badges, please see the following articles and links:
- Seitzinger, Joyce 'Organisational Learning with Open Badges', Training and Development August 2015 (p16-17);
- Tracey, Ryan 'Get Badged!' Training and Development February 2014 (pp24-25);
- Robinson, Elizabeth 'Recognising Learning through Open Badges' Training and Development December 2015 (p21);
- Mozilla Open Badges website;
- Digital Badges: Unlocking 10 Million Better Futures - YouTube video
OUR SPONSORS BECOME A SPONSOR